On the Trail
Q & A with Darcy Africa
photo credit by Run Wild Retreats
- Can you share your experience winning the Desert RATS TrailRunning Festival? My best race at the Spring Desert Ultra 50 was actually in 2006 when I ran 8:04. It was one of those days where everything felt great and my legs were speedier than they have been in a very long time.
- Describe an embarrassing athletic moment. There are probably a lot of those…..That’s the beauty of running ultras, when you are out in the woods and you’re exhausted, and your ego is shed, you really don’t care what anyone thinks …..and all bodily functions can happen at any moment. Nuff said.
- What is the most challenging thing for you to do in Ultra Running? Not put pressure on myself to perform at a certain level.
- What do you hope to achieve in the future with your racing? I’m getting older and I feel my running “career” evolving. I’d like to seek more meaning to my running. After running the Wonderland Trail last year, my goals are now starting to shift to running FKT’s or long trails as opposed to racing. I’ve got some fun things planned this summer if all goes well.
- If we came to your house for dinner, what would you prepare for us? I’m good at “one dish wonders”. I like stir fry and making a bean and quinoa chili dish. Always vegetarian.
- What is your motivation? My daughter, being a good Mom, peace of mind, solace in nature….I could go on for hrs.:)
- Pre-race routines (night before or morning of)? Eat a healthy meal for dinner, go to bed early, and have oatmeal for breakfast (and coffee of course).
- Favorite post race nosh: A big burrito with chips and fresh guacamole
- What other sport would you like to compete in if you were not an ultra runner? Surfing
- Do you have any advice for others who want to get into the sport of ultra running? Get lots of time on your feet. Don’t worry so much about miles and speed. & Run your OWN race! Run HAPPY!
- What is your favorite hobby? Why? Tele-Skiing. I love the mountains and snow!